Goulburn Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from Goulburn
Goulburn, located in New South Wales, Australia, has been the birthplace of several distinguished and famous individuals. Below are some notable personalities associated with the area:
- Sir George Houston Reid (1845-1918) – An Australian politician and the fourth Prime Minister of Australia. He was born in Goulburn and served as Prime Minister from 1904 to 1905.
- Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson (1864-1941) – An Australian bush poet, journalist, and author. Paterson was born in the nearby town of Narrambla, but spent his childhood in Goulburn. He is best known for composing the widely recognized Australian bush ballad, "Waltzing Matilda," and writing the poem "The Man from Snowy River."
- Flora Eldershaw (1897-1956) – An Australian novelist, critic, and historian. Eldershaw was born in Goulburn and co-wrote several influential novels such as "Tomorrow and Tomorrow" and "The Glasshouse."
- Bill Brown (1912-2008) – A former cricketer who represented Australia in 22 Test matches. Brown was born in Goulburn and is remembered for his contribution to Australian cricket during the 1930s and 1940s.
- John Warby (1823-1907) – A pioneering Australian settler, Warby was the first European child born in Goulburn. His birth in the region holds historical significance.
- Alexander Wall (1867-1950) – An Australian politician and advocate for workers' rights. Wall was born in Goulburn and became a Labor Party member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly.
- Hugh Victor McKay (1865-1926) – A prominent Australian industrialist and inventor. McKay was born in Goulburn and is best known for developing the Sunshine Harvester, a revolutionary piece of farming machinery.
- Mark Waugh (born 1965) – A former Australian cricketer and part of the famous Waugh twins. Mark was born in Goulburn and played international cricket from 1991 to 2002, particularly remembered for his exceptional fielding skills.
- Bruce Reid (born 1963) – An Australian former cricketer who played as a fast bowler. Reid was born in Goulburn and represented Australia in Test matches during the 1980s.
- Dean Mumm (born 1984) – A retired Australian rugby union player who played as a lock or flanker. Mumm was born in Goulburn and represented Australia in international competitions from 2008 to 2016.
Note: The above information is based on verified facts as per their respective Wikipedia pages. Please refer to their individual biographies for further details.